Hey friends, I hope you are enjoying your holidays as much as I am! I may have fallen off track a little with all the eating and drinking temptations but there is no better time to get back on it then the New Year! Thankfully I’ve been able to enjoy some time off of work so my workout regimen has been spot on. Now I don’t feel as guilty for that extra cookie I may eat ! 🙂
Between all the craziness going on I was able to cook up a little mexican favorite for you all. I absolutely love Mexican cuisine and could quite possibly live off of chips and salsa for life if I had to. Cilantro is most definitely a staple herb that you’ll always find in my fridge.
- 1 cup of cooked Quinoa (I usually cook with chicken broth instead of water for added flavor)
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 3/4 cup of Cilantro Chopped
- 1/2 White Onion Chopped
- 1 Medium Jalepeno seeded and chopped
- 1 Package of Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
- Olive Oil
- 1 Lime
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1/2 Jar of Salsa (your choice on brand)
- Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- 1 can of black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can of corn drained
- Cook 1 cup of quinoa as directed on the box. Once quinoa is cooked add 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro and juice from half of a lime. Salt & pepper to taste, set aside.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook ground beef over medium heat until browned. Drain fat from pan. Follow the directions on the taco seasoning bag.
- Add chopped onion, jalepeno, and garlic to skillet and cook until onions are translucent. Pour salsa, black beans and corn into the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Right before serving add a half cup of chopped cilantro to the meat mixture.
- Layer your bowl with quinoa, the meat mixture, shredded cheese, a squirt of lime juice and a dollop of salsa.
I hope you all enjoy this quickie mexi dish and start your New Year off with a bang!