Happy New Year everyone, I hope you’re kicking off 2017 with a healthy bang!
I always get tons of questions from friends and family about recommendations for protein powders and shake recipes. Due to the high demand of curiosity I’m sharing my #1 favorite make at home, power packed, super clean Almond Butter & Banana Protein Shake recipe with you guys! For whatever reason I just love the combination of almond butter and bananas together. They go together like peanut butter & jelly or like peas and carrots. Check out the bottom of the post where I link all my favorite brands that I used to make this Almond Butter & Banana Protein Shake recipe.
My protein of choice these days is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Naturally Flavored. I’m all about convenience and between my husband and I we fly through containers of protein powder like crazy. GNC is just a few minute drive up the road so I know I’m able to pick up a container whenever I need it. Normally I mix my protein with water when I’m drinking it right after a workout. I personally enjoy the taste of it this way and can get it into my system fairly quickly, but I know a lot people can’t stomach it that way. If I have the time to jazz up a shake at home this is definitely my go to recipe as I usually have all of these ingredients on hand in my kitchen.
If you’re not thrilled about this brand, here are a couple other protein powders that are great choices and are super clean:
- Primal Kitchen – Vanilla Coconut – Primal Fuel (comes in Chocolate Coconut also)
- Perfect Fit Protein by The Tone it Up Girls
- 1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein
- 3-4 pitted dates
- 1 tbspn Almond Butter
- 1/2 tbspn of raw honey
- 5 ice cubes1/2 frozen banana
- Place all the ingredients into a blender. Set on high and blend until everything is combined and smooth. If you prefer your shake a little thicker, feel free to add more ice.
- I recommend adding the honey and almond butter last or else they get stuck to the bottom of the blender. You don't want to miss out on the good stuff!
If you give this recipe a try let me know how you like it! What are some of your favorite brands or ingredients to use in your make at home protein shake?